hidden hit counter
Welcome to WindowsForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

Windows Restore Problem

 
   Windows XP (Home) -> Configuration Manage RSS
Next:  Asking a Question New Post  
Author Message
chesjak

External


Since: May 22, 2006
Posts: 9



(Msg. 1) Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:56 am
Post subject: Windows Restore Problem
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>configuration_manage (more info?)

HI
I need to restore my copy of Windows and have got to the bit in "set up"
where it askes me for "Administrators Password"

Question!!!! What would my Administrators password be and where do I find it.

When I installed the Windows XP Operating system, I do not remember having
been asked to put an Administrators Password in.

Can you please help

Regards

 >> Stay informed about: Windows Restore Problem 
Back to top
Login to vote
Nepatsfan

External


Since: Mar 12, 2005
Posts: 1386



(Msg. 2) Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Windows Restore Problem [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"chesjak" wrote in message

> HI
> I need to restore my copy of Windows and have got to the bit in "set up"
> where it askes me for "Administrators Password"
>
> Question!!!! What would my Administrators password be and where do I find it.
>
> When I installed the Windows XP Operating system, I do not remember having
> been asked to put an Administrators Password in.
>
> Can you please help
>
> Regards


Being asked for a password for the administrator account leads me to
believe you ended up in the Recovery Console. Did the screen looks like this?

http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/registry01.gif

If you're trying to perform a repair installation, then you hit the R key too
early in the process. Reboot the computer from the XP installation CD and when
you come to this screen, hit Enter.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/CC.gif

Windows will search for any existing XP installations on your computer and
display a screen where you're asked if you want to repair the installation.
Here's where you hit the R key.

Take a look at the following web sites for more info on repair installations.

http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/reinstall-repair-shallow.html

Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP
Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I hope you have any important files backed up. While a repair installation
should preserve your data and installed programs, there's always a chance that
something could go wrong and your files would be lost.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

 >> Stay informed about: Windows Restore Problem 
Back to top
Login to vote
chesjak

External


Since: May 22, 2006
Posts: 9



(Msg. 3) Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Windows Restore Problem [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Hi Nepatsfan

You are absolutly right. I did hit the "R" key to soon. I'll have another
go as you suggest.

Can you answer the bit as follows:
[[[Question!!!! What would my Administrators password be and where do I
find it.

When I installed the Windows XP Operating system, I do not remember having
been asked to put an Administrators Password in. ]]]

Many thanks





"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> "chesjak" wrote in message
>
> > HI
> > I need to restore my copy of Windows and have got to the bit in "set up"
> > where it askes me for "Administrators Password"
> >
> > Question!!!! What would my Administrators password be and where do I find it.
> >
> > When I installed the Windows XP Operating system, I do not remember having
> > been asked to put an Administrators Password in.
> >
> > Can you please help
> >
> > Regards
>
>
> Being asked for a password for the administrator account leads me to
> believe you ended up in the Recovery Console. Did the screen looks like this?
>
> http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/registry01.gif
>
> If you're trying to perform a repair installation, then you hit the R key too
> early in the process. Reboot the computer from the XP installation CD and when
> you come to this screen, hit Enter.
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/CC.gif
>
> Windows will search for any existing XP installations on your computer and
> display a screen where you're asked if you want to repair the installation.
> Here's where you hit the R key.
>
> Take a look at the following web sites for more info on repair installations.
>
> http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/reinstall-repair-shallow.html
>
> Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP
> Windows XP Repair Install
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> I hope you have any important files backed up. While a repair installation
> should preserve your data and installed programs, there's always a chance that
> something could go wrong and your files would be lost.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>
>
>
>
 >> Stay informed about: Windows Restore Problem 
Back to top
Login to vote
Nepatsfan

External


Since: Mar 12, 2005
Posts: 1386



(Msg. 4) Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Post subject: Re: Windows Restore Problem [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

First off, every XP system has a built-in account named Administrator. It's
usually hidden and, by default, the password for the Administrator account is
blank. If you hit the Enter key when you came to that prompt in the Recovery
Console and Windows did not accept a blank password, that would indicate that
there's a password associated with the Administrator account.

There are a number of ways to reset that account's password. The easiest would
be to logon with an account that's a Computer Administrator and change it using
the alternative User Accounts applet. You launch this applet by going to
Start -> Run and entering control userpasswords2 in the Open box. As long as
there's a check mark in the box next to "Users must enter a user name and
password to use this computer", you should be able to click on Administrator in
the "User for this computer" box and hit the Reset Password button in the
Password for Administrator section at the bottom of the Users page. Another
option is to use the utility available from this web site.

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Note: If you're installing XP Pro, you'll be presented with the option of
creating a password for the Administrator account during the process. Adding a
password to this account is a good idea.

How you log on with the Administrator account depends on what version of XP you
have installed on your computer.

XP Home Edition

To logon with the built-in Administrator account in XP Home Edition you have to
restart the computer and boot into Safe Mode.
To start in Safe Mode, reboot your computer and start tapping the F8 key as soon
as you see anything displayed
on the screen.
Keep hitting F8 until the Advanced Startup Options menu appears.
Use the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard to select Safe Mode.
Hit Enter.
Click on the Administrator icon.
Unless you changed it, the password should be blank.

XP Professional
Restart your computer.
If the Welcome screen is displayed, hit the Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination
twice.
This should bring up the Log on to Windows dialog.
Enter Administrator in the User Name box.
If you set up a password for this account, enter it now. Otherwise, leave the
password box blank.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

"chesjak" wrote in message

> Hi Nepatsfan
>
> You are absolutly right. I did hit the "R" key to soon. I'll have another
> go as you suggest.
>
> Can you answer the bit as follows:
> [[[Question!!!! What would my Administrators password be and where do I
> find it.
>
> When I installed the Windows XP Operating system, I do not remember having
> been asked to put an Administrators Password in. ]]]
>
> Many thanks
>
>
>
>
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> "chesjak" wrote in message
>>
>> > HI
>> > I need to restore my copy of Windows and have got to the bit in "set up"
>> > where it askes me for "Administrators Password"
>> >
>> > Question!!!! What would my Administrators password be and where do I find
>> > it.
>> >
>> > When I installed the Windows XP Operating system, I do not remember having
>> > been asked to put an Administrators Password in.
>> >
>> > Can you please help
>> >
>> > Regards
>>
>>
>> Being asked for a password for the administrator account leads me to
>> believe you ended up in the Recovery Console. Did the screen looks like this?
>>
>> http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/registry01.gif
>>
>> If you're trying to perform a repair installation, then you hit the R key too
>> early in the process. Reboot the computer from the XP installation CD and
>> when
>> you come to this screen, hit Enter.
>>
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/CC.gif
>>
>> Windows will search for any existing XP installations on your computer and
>> display a screen where you're asked if you want to repair the installation.
>> Here's where you hit the R key.
>>
>> Take a look at the following web sites for more info on repair installations.
>>
>> http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/reinstall-repair-shallow.html
>>
>> Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP
>> Windows XP Repair Install
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> I hope you have any important files backed up. While a repair installation
>> should preserve your data and installed programs, there's always a chance
>> that
>> something could go wrong and your files would be lost.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>
>>
>>
>>
 >> Stay informed about: Windows Restore Problem 
Back to top
Login to vote
chesjak

External


Since: May 22, 2006
Posts: 9



(Msg. 5) Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:11 am
Post subject: Re: Windows Restore Problem [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Hi Nepatsfan

Thanks for your reply. have sorted that problem. However I now have
another. Are you able to help.

Please refer to my thread this morning "Hard Drive Formatting"

Thanks againg


"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> First off, every XP system has a built-in account named Administrator. It's
> usually hidden and, by default, the password for the Administrator account is
> blank. If you hit the Enter key when you came to that prompt in the Recovery
> Console and Windows did not accept a blank password, that would indicate that
> there's a password associated with the Administrator account.
>
> There are a number of ways to reset that account's password. The easiest would
> be to logon with an account that's a Computer Administrator and change it using
> the alternative User Accounts applet. You launch this applet by going to
> Start -> Run and entering control userpasswords2 in the Open box. As long as
> there's a check mark in the box next to "Users must enter a user name and
> password to use this computer", you should be able to click on Administrator in
> the "User for this computer" box and hit the Reset Password button in the
> Password for Administrator section at the bottom of the Users page. Another
> option is to use the utility available from this web site.
>
> Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> Note: If you're installing XP Pro, you'll be presented with the option of
> creating a password for the Administrator account during the process. Adding a
> password to this account is a good idea.
>
> How you log on with the Administrator account depends on what version of XP you
> have installed on your computer.
>
> XP Home Edition
>
> To logon with the built-in Administrator account in XP Home Edition you have to
> restart the computer and boot into Safe Mode.
> To start in Safe Mode, reboot your computer and start tapping the F8 key as soon
> as you see anything displayed
> on the screen.
> Keep hitting F8 until the Advanced Startup Options menu appears.
> Use the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard to select Safe Mode.
> Hit Enter.
> Click on the Administrator icon.
> Unless you changed it, the password should be blank.
>
> XP Professional
> Restart your computer.
> If the Welcome screen is displayed, hit the Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination
> twice.
> This should bring up the Log on to Windows dialog.
> Enter Administrator in the User Name box.
> If you set up a password for this account, enter it now. Otherwise, leave the
> password box blank.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>
> "chesjak" wrote in message
>
> > Hi Nepatsfan
> >
> > You are absolutly right. I did hit the "R" key to soon. I'll have another
> > go as you suggest.
> >
> > Can you answer the bit as follows:
> > [[[Question!!!! What would my Administrators password be and where do I
> > find it.
> >
> > When I installed the Windows XP Operating system, I do not remember having
> > been asked to put an Administrators Password in. ]]]
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> "chesjak" wrote in message
> >>
> >> > HI
> >> > I need to restore my copy of Windows and have got to the bit in "set up"
> >> > where it askes me for "Administrators Password"
> >> >
> >> > Question!!!! What would my Administrators password be and where do I find
> >> > it.
> >> >
> >> > When I installed the Windows XP Operating system, I do not remember having
> >> > been asked to put an Administrators Password in.
> >> >
> >> > Can you please help
> >> >
> >> > Regards
> >>
> >>
> >> Being asked for a password for the administrator account leads me to
> >> believe you ended up in the Recovery Console. Did the screen looks like this?
> >>
> >> http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/registry01.gif
> >>
> >> If you're trying to perform a repair installation, then you hit the R key too
> >> early in the process. Reboot the computer from the XP installation CD and
> >> when
> >> you come to this screen, hit Enter.
> >>
> >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/XP%20Home%20Setup%20Graphic/CC.gif
> >>
> >> Windows will search for any existing XP installations on your computer and
> >> display a screen where you're asked if you want to repair the installation.
> >> Here's where you hit the R key.
> >>
> >> Take a look at the following web sites for more info on repair installations.
> >>
> >> http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/reinstall-repair-shallow.html
> >>
> >> Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP
> >> Windows XP Repair Install
> >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> >>
> >> I hope you have any important files backed up. While a repair installation
> >> should preserve your data and installed programs, there's always a chance
> >> that
> >> something could go wrong and your files would be lost.
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Nepatsfan
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
>
 >> Stay informed about: Windows Restore Problem 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
Restore Problem - I have tried on SEVERAL different computers to restore to a previous day only to find that the restore DOES NOT WORK for any day picked. This has hppened numerous times in numerous different computers. Could someone please tell me what would cause thi...

Windows XP restore utility - Is there a utility that Microsoft provides that will allow my windows xp machine to schedule a complete restore at the end of the day without my interaction. We have a PC that we allow the public to use but at the end of the day, we would like to hav...

How do I restore deleted Windows Installer *service* ? - I got too zealous about security and didn't know exactly what I was doing - although I'm intermediate/advanced in my computer experience, I'df just never dealt with this sort of thing before - and while I was messing around with permissions after a..

System Restore - Number of Restore Points - Recently I checked the number of restore points I'd accumulated and found only 8 extending over the past three days, including today. It seems to me, in the past, I've seen more restore points extending further back in time. The slider is set to Max....

Add / Remove Windows components problem - Hello Group, Ran into a problem while helping a friend with their computer and Windows XP Pro and service pack 2 recently installed. I was trying to access the add / remove Windows components feature, but when I click on it in the add/ /remove program....
   Windows XP (Home) -> Configuration Manage All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

Categories:
  Windows XP
 Win 2000/NT/98/ME
 Windows Vista!


[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]